Baby Bok Choy & Quinoa
I'm always looking for a different greens to cook with, because let's face it there's only so much broccoli one person can eat! Bok Choy is not a common ingredient in my kitchen, but every once in a while I go crazy and bring it home! Loaded with Vitamin A, C and K, Calcium and antioxidants it's probably one of the healthiest foods to fuel your body with. Add some lemon, olive oil and garlic and you've got yourself a winner! Check out this quick and yummy meal idea and step outside the comfort of spinach. Try something new!
- Bunch baby bok choy slice in half and make sure you rinse well as debris and dirt can be stuck in the stem
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa cook as per instructions (I use tri color quinoa just because of preference but any quinoa will work)
- 1 tsp olive oil drizzle 1 tsp olive oil per plate at the end
- 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 1 tsp. shredded ginger peeling then freezing ginger root makes it much easier to grate
- chicken breast, souvlaki, sliced beef use your choice of protein and add on the side to bulk up your meal. I used left over chicken breast souvlaki that I BBQed the night before.
- Aim to buy baby bok choy as it's easier to manage and clean. Slice it in half and make sure you clean it very well under running water to ensure any dirt that's trapped in the leaves get washed out.
- Cook your quinoa as per the package instructions and set aside.
- In a wok add a bit of olive oil, coconut oil or any type of fat and sauté on medium heat adding some salt and pepper, ginger and garlic. Add about 2-3 tbsp. of water or broth and cover. 5 minutes is usually all you need depending on how big your bok choy pieces are. Cooking it for a longer period of time will simply make it very soggy - unless that's what you like! Remove and plate!
- Plate out about 1 cup of bok choy, 1/3 cup of cooked quinoa and your protein on the side. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil and you've got yourself a quick and easy healthy meal that'll give your body everything it needs! Enjoy!