Easy Creamy Rose Penne
You're on a tight schedule and you're looking for a fast carb loaded meal that'll feed the family in record time! Sound familiar? Join the club! Try this out, it might not exactly be super figure friendly but big deal. Cut your portion, add a salad and enjoy!
- 1 can evaporated milk Carnation (regular or low fat)
- 1/4 cup butter adjust depending on how creamy you want this dish. Counting calories? Use less.
- 5 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 1 jar your favorite tomato sauce store bought for me!
- 1 cup water starchy water from the boiled pasta
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano adjust to your taste
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- package your favorite pasta boil as per instructions (al dente)
- 1/2 cup parmesan Reggiano you grate your own? Keep the rind and throw it in the sauce!
- 3-4 bay leaves
- Bring pasta to a boil and cook as per instructions. Make sure the pasta is al dente or even just a bit undercooked as it will continue cooking once we add to the sauce, careful as you don't want mushy pasta! I used penne, but use whatever you want. TIP: Salt your water well. Don't be afraid to go overboard, the water needs to taste like the sea. It adds wonderful flavor to your pasta once it's cooked. Do NOT rinse your pasta with water … EVER. You need that starch to bind the sauce to the pasta. Never mind what your mother taught you. NEVER RINSE YOUR PASTA! (Reserve some water for your sauce, about a cup or 2)
- In a separate pot add butter and sliced garlic, sauté until garlic is fragrant. Medium low heat. If you buy the whole pieces of parmesan Reggiano and you have some rind left, don't throw it out! This is the perfect time to throw it into your sauce. It adds delicious full nutty, cheesy flavour to your sauce.
- Add all of the ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil and lower the heat to allow for sauce to simmer. Stir often and allow flavours to blend together and cream cheese to melt into the sauce. Add the reserved pasta water about a cup of so towards the end of the cooking.
- Add boiled pasta to the sauce and stir making sure it is thoroughly covered in sauce. Cover and allow the pasta to absorb the sauce, it will continue cooking at this point. If your sauce is runny simply turn on the stove to medium / low and simmer until it's absorbed. Keep covered until you're ready to serve. Garnish with some extra cheese. Enjoy!