Cinnamon Infused Meat Sauce (GreekStyle Kima)
Cinnamon in a meat sauce? YES! THAT is how Greeks make meat sauce and it's delicious! Whatever your pasta preference is, you'll want to add this meat sauce to it. Top it off with some grated Mitzithra cheese (made from sheep's milk), our version of parmesan and you've got yourself a hearty taste of Moms Kitchen!
- 500 - 750 grams lean ground beef
- 1 can / jar tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine optional
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 onions grated
- 5 cloves garlic minced or finely chopped
- 2 large cinnamon sticks or 3 small ones
- 5 whole cloves optional, you might want to pick them out once cooked.
- 1 tsp. sea salt adjust to taste
- ground black pepper adjust to taste
- 1 - 1/2 tsp. garlic powder adjust to taste
- 2 tsp. dried oregano adjust to taste
- 2 tsp. dried basil adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 4 cups water as needed, be sure to stir often half way through the cooking process as the meat sauce may stick to the bottom of the pot. Add a little bit of water at a time.
- In a large pot add olive oil, garlic and ground beef and sauté until browned.
- Add all spices and stir, slowly add tomato sauce, wine, and all ingredients, add enough water to cover ground beef and stir.
- Bring to a boil with lid halfway on the pot and lower heat to medium - low. Stir often and ensure there is just enough water adding it slowly a little bit at a time.
- Continue cooking until thick approximately an hour or so.
- Turn heat off when thick and cover until ready to serve with your favorite boiled pasta.
- Grate some Mitzithria or Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!