Eggplant Cheesy SteakThis recipe was inspired by my friend and teammate Chrisie who would come to class with Tupperware of food making sure I ate post workout as she knew I lived on the road and didn’t have time to eat right! She would make “eggplant pizza” and it was delicious. It became a fast favorite in my house as I loved the versatility of this dish! This is a “steak” simply because you’ll need a knife to cut through this bad boy! The perfect lunch! Enjoy!
- 2 large eggplants sliced length wise 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce your favorite tomato or pizza sauce. Both work great!
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil to rub on the eggplant and then drizzle some on top once toppings are added
- 2 Everything Bagel Seasoning optional (don’t add salt if you use this seasoning)
- 1 ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese to sprinkle on top
- 1 big handful baby spinach
- Wash and trim eggplant and slice length wise at about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. 1 eggplant should yield 4 slices. Rub with olive oil and spices and place on alumin foil lined baking sheet tray. Roast quickly for about 5 minutes in the middle rack of oven at 425 degrees. Take out of oven and add tomato sauce evenly on each slice.
- Begin adding your toppings to your eggplant steaks. Ensure you leave the baby spinach for last then sprinkle some back pepper and Romano cheese on top.
- Bake in the middle rack for about 10 - 15 minutes until cheese has melted at 375 degrees. Let it rest for about 5 minutes and enjoy!