Eggplant Cheesy Steak
This recipe was inspired by my friend and teammate Chrisie who would come to class with Tupperware of food making sure I ate post workout as she knew I lived on the road and didn’t have time to eat right! She would make “eggplant pizza” and it was delicious. It became a fast favorite in my house as I loved the versatility of this dish! This is a “steak” simply because you’ll need a knife to cut through this bad boy! The perfect lunch! Enjoy!
Prep Time 5 minutes mins
Cook Time 15 minutes mins
Cuisine Healthy Eats
- 2 large eggplants sliced length wise 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce your favorite tomato or pizza sauce. Both work great!
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil to rub on the eggplant and then drizzle some on top once toppings are added
- 2 Everything Bagel Seasoning optional (don’t add salt if you use this seasoning)
- 1 ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese to sprinkle on top
- 1 big handful baby spinach
Wash and trim eggplant and slice length wise at about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. 1 eggplant should yield 4 slices. Rub with olive oil and spices and place on alumin foil lined baking sheet tray. Roast quickly for about 5 minutes in the middle rack of oven at 425 degrees. Take out of oven and add tomato sauce evenly on each slice.
Begin adding your toppings to your eggplant steaks. Ensure you leave the baby spinach for last then sprinkle some back pepper and Romano cheese on top.
Bake in the middle rack for about 10 - 15 minutes until cheese has melted at 375 degrees. Let it rest for about 5 minutes and enjoy!
Keyword Healthy Eats, lunch, vegetarian